Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Don't Bide Your Time


My parents had their "make-up" visit this past weekend, since they were snowed out a couple weeks ago. I thought they might just wait until their visit in April, but they insisted they couldn't go that long without seeing Nolan! He was so excited to see them- it's nice he finally remembers them between visits. I definitely think that being able to webcam on Skype helps! We had a pretty uneventful weekend, but a nice visit anyway.
Sunday also marked the 4 year anniversary of my brother Jason's death, so it was extra nice to spend it with my parents. It's never an easy day for any of us. It's so hard to believe he's been gone 4 years, but at the same time it feels like he's been gone so long. One of Jason's tattoos that has always inspired me said "Don't Bide Your Time" (a line from a Blink 182 song). Going through my day to day life sometimes it's hard to remember to this, but I try to remind myself often to never take what I have for granted. Anything can happen at any time, and you or the people you love can be taken away in an instant. Two weeks before Jason passed away, Mike and I visited my parents from North Carolina. We had planned on driving out to Kent State to have dinner with Jason (45 minutes away), but decided not to go because it was snowing. I hate having regrets, but that is one decision I will regret forever. You never know when you might have that last opportunity to spend time with someone you love. I have no doubt this is why my parents came here this weekend, even though they'll be back in a few weeks. Jason, I know you're out there watching over our family and my little boys. You are loved and missed forever!
Portrait of Jason painted for me by my very talented cousin, Craig.

On a final note, I went to the doctor for my 36 week checkup yesterday. I'm 2 cm dilated, which apparently is pretty normal for a second pregnancy. He warned me that labor will go much quicker this time, which is a big fear of mine. I'm praying that Mike will be here, and we'll have time to get Nolan to a babysitter, and still get to the hospital with time for me to get an epidural!

1 comment:

  1. I know your brother is deeply missed. I love how you keep his memory alive by telling his story and raising money for diabetes research.
    I live close to Northside so you can always drop Nolan off here! I have a pack and play and you know I don't work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Call me anytime!

    ReplyDelete